|Discipline||Centre for Communication, Media and Society|
|Campus||Howard College Campus|
|Office Address||Room G006a Memorial Tower Building. Ground floor|
- Keyan Tomaselli is a Full Professor and a Fellow of the University of KwaZulu-Natal. Tomaselli started his media career in the film and TV industry in 1974, and then taught in the Wits School of Dramatic Art. In 1981, he joined Rhodes University’s Journalism and Media Studies. He completed his PhD in 1984 and relocated to Durban in 1985 to establish what is now known as CCMS.
- Worked in the film industry and was co-writer of the White Paper on Film. His seminal books include The Cinema of Apartheid and Appropriating Images (1996). He is a Fellow of the University of KwaZulu-Natal, and was a Smithsonian Research Associate in its Department of Anthropology. His interests are political economy, African cinema and visual anthropology.
- Elected a Fellow of the University of Natal in 1995.
- Smithsonian Research Associate, 1994-1997, in the Department of Anthropology.
- KWANZAA Award for The Cinema of Apartheid from the Africa Network, Chicago.
- Fulbright Scholar 1990/1.
- External Examiner for Department of Communication, University of Zambia.
- External Examiner and Staff (Faculty) Assessor, School of Communication, University of Ghana.
- Executive Council Member, African Council for Communication Education, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Board member, Cultural Environment Movement, Philadelphia.
- Steering Committee, Development Support Programme, Human Sciences Research Council, Pretoria.
- Media Expert, Committee on AIDS and STDs, Dept of National Health, Pretoria.
- Co-Writer, Film Policy White Paper, Department of Arts, Culture, Science and Technology, Pretoria (1995).
- Editor-in-Chief: CRITICAL ARTS: A JOURNAL FOR CULTURAL STUDIES, co-edited with the Centre for
- Research into Culture and Media, Murdoch University, Perth.
Accredited publications in the past five years:
- Tomaselli, K.G. (2013) Film cities and competitive advantage: Development factors in South African film. Journal of African Cinemas, 5(2): 237-252.
- Tomaselli, K.G and Mboti, N. 2013. ‘Doing’ cultural studies: what is literacy in the age of the post? International Journal of Cultural Studies, pp. 521-537.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2013. Visualizing Different Kinds of Writing: Auto-ethnography, Social Science. Visual Anthropology, 26(2): 165-180.
- Tomaselli, K.G; Mboti, N. and Rønning, H. 2013. South–North perspectives: the development of cultural and media studies in Southern Africa. Media, Culture and Society, 35(1): 36-43.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2012. The Researcher’s Guide to Ethiopia: what travel guides don’t tell you. Critical Arts, 26(3): 237-253.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2012. Consuming Nature: Antarctica, penguins and pollution. Critical Arts, 26(3): 328-352.
- Mulwo, A.K; Tomaselli, K.G. and Francis, M.D. 2012. HIV/AIDS and discourses of denial in sub-Saharan Africa: AN Afro-optimist response? International Journal of Cultural Studies, 15(6): 567-582.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2012. Alter-Egos: Cultural and Media Studies. Critical Arts 26(1): 14-38.
- Durden, E. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2012. Theory Meets Theatre Practice: Making a Difference to Public Health Programmes in Southern Africa. Professor Lynn Dalrymple: South African Scholar, Activist, Educator. Curriculum Inquiry, 42(1): 80-102.
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Shepperson, A. 2011. Mirror Communities and Straw Individualisms: Essentialism, Cinema and Semiotic Analysis”, Journal of African Cinemas 3(1): 3-24.
- Dockney, J. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2010. Third Screens, Third Cinema, Third Worlds and Triadomania: Examining Cellphilm Aesthetics in Visual Culture, Communitas 15: 97-111.
- Shepperson, A. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2010. ‘Culture’ is not benign. Communicatio, 36(1): 58-70.
- Nielsen, M. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2010. Overimitation in Kalahari Bushman Children and the Origins of Human Cultural Cognition, Psychological Science,:1-8.
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Shepperson, A. 2010. All the World’s a Brothel. Metaphysics of the Text and Cultural Economy in the Information Age, Critical Arts, 24(1):51-74.
- Mulwo, A.K. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2009. Sex, Morality and AIDS: The Perils of Moralistic Discourses in HIV Prevention Campaigns among University Students, Communicatio, 35(2): 295-314
- Mhando, M. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2009. Film and Trauma: Africa speaks to Itself through Truth and Reconciliation Films. Black Camera: An International Film Journal, 1(1): 30-50.
- Mulwo, A.K., Tomaselli, K.G. & Dalrymple, L. 2009. Social constructions of “being faithful” among university students and their implications for their reception of partner-fidelity messages. Communicare, 28(2): 1-22.
- Mulwo, A.K., Tomaselli, K.G. & Dalrymple, L. 2009. Condom Brands, perceptions of condom efficacy and HIV prevention among university students in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. African Journal of AIDS Research, 8(3): 311-320.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2009. (Afri)ethics, Communitarianism and Libertarianism, The International Communication Gazette, 71(7): 577-594.
- Shepperson, A. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2009. Media in Africa: Political, cultural and theoretical trajectories in the global environment, International Communication Gazette, 71(6): 473-489.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2009. (Re)Mediatizing AIDS in South Africa, Cultural Studies ß> Critical Methodologies, 9(4): 570-587.
Books edited or co-authored
- Tomaselli, K.G. with Lange, M.E., Jansen, L.M. Fisher, R.C. and Morris, D. (2013) Engraved Landscape: Biesje Poort. Tormentoso Publishers.
- Proposed Commissioned Anthology 2013 – working title-“African Media”, as part of the Global Media and Communication Series by Polity Press. Co-author. Prof. R.E. Teer-Tomaselli. Forthcoming.
- Tomaselli, K.G. (ed.) 2013(Under review by Pearson Publishers): working title: Making Sense of Research: theory, practice and ir/relevance irreverence, forthcoming.
- Tomaselli, K.G. (Ed.) 2012. Cultural Tourism and Identity: Rethinking Indigeneity. Leiden, Netherlands: Brill.
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Wright, H.K. (eds.) 2011. African Cultural Studies and Difference. London: Routledge. (Reprint in book form of Cultural Studies Theme Issue, edited by Wright and Tomaselli, 2008, 22(2), 173-186).
- Olorunnisola, A. and Tomaselli, K.G. (eds.) 2011. Political Economy of Transformation: The South African Media. New Jersey: Hampton Press.
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Chasi, C. (eds.) 2011. Development and Public Health Communication. Cape Town: Pearson.
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Scott, D. (eds.) 2009. Cultural Icons. Hojbjerg: Intervention Press / San Francisco: Left Coast Publishers.
- Mulwo, A and Tomaselli, K.G. “University Students as Interpretive Communities: Sexual Identities, Group Dynamics and the Reconstruction of `ABC’, African Journal for AIDS Research, 8(3). In Preparation
- Nielsen, M., Tomaselli, K.G., Mushin, I. and Whiten, A. “Exploring tool innovation: A comparison of Western and Bushmen children”. In Preparation.
- Nielsen, M., Tomaselli, K.G., Mushin, I. and Whiten, A. “When Culture takes hold: ‘Over-imitation and its flexible deployment in Western, Aboriginal and Bushman children”. Submitted to the Journal of Child Development.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2014 “Researching the San, San/ding the Research. Critical Arts. Forthcoming. 28(3).
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2014 “Who owns what? Indigenous knowledge and struggles over representation”. Journal: Critical Arts. Forthcoming. 28(3).
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2014 “(Un-) disciplined Indiscipline. The Langue and Parole of film studies in the Post” South African Theatre Journal. Submitted.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2014 “Where’s the theory in Visual Anthropology?” in Journal of Visual Anthropology. forthcoming.
Editorial board member:
- MEDIA, CULTURE & SOCIETY, PARA*DOXA, CONTINUUM, VISUAL ANTHROPOLOGY, SA THEATRE JOURNAL amongst others.
Published in RESEARCH IN AFRICAN LITERATURES, IRIS, CINEMACTION, CONTINUUM, VISUAL ANTHROPOLOGY, ORAL TRADITION, CINEASTE, JOURNAL OF COMMUNICATION INQUIRY, amongst other titles