- B.A. University of South Africa
- Honours University of South Africa
- Masters (Cum Laude) University of South Africa
- Master of Social Science in Industrial Psychology (University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- Ph.D. Health Promotion and Education, University of Maastrict in the Netherlands
- My research interests relate to general Health and Wellbeing with a focus on Adolescent Health and Wellbeing and Organisation Health, Well-being and Safety.
- Health Promotion, Health Psychology, Organisational Health and Wellbeing, Planning and Evaluation of Health and related Interventions as well as Research Methodology.
- Theoretical Foundations of Human Behaviour for Health and Wellbeing; Development, Implementation and Evaluation of Health Related Interventions.
- Weihs, M., & Meyer-Weitz, A. (2014): A lottery incentive system to facilitate dialogue and social support for workplace HIV counselling and testing: A qualitative inquiry, SAHARA-J: Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS, 1-10. Open Access DOI: 10.1080/17290376.2014.937739 (60%)
- De Vries, H., Eggers, S. M., Jinabhai, C., Meyer-Weitz, A., Sathiparsad, R., & Taylor, M. (2014). Adolescents’ Beliefs about forced sex in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Archives for Sexual Behaviour, 43, 1087 – 1095.
- Egbe, C., Meyer-Weitz, Oppong-Asante & Petersen, I. (2014). “A woman is not supposed to smoke”: Exploring gendered stereotypes in smoking patterns in a Nigerian setting. Journal of Psychology, 5(1), 1-7.
- Govender, K., Naicker, S., Meyer-Weitz, A., Fanner, J.., Naidoo, A., Penfold, W. (2013). Associations between perceptions of school connnectedness and risk behaviours in South African High School learners, Journal of School Health, 83(9), 614-622. (35%)
- Egbe, C.O., Petersen, I., & Meyer-Weitz, A. (2013). Community participation in tobacco control in a Nigerian setting. Journal of Psychology in Africa, 23(2), 311-316.(30%)
- Meyer-Weitz, A., & Bhagwanjee, A. (2012). Knowledge and perceptions of HIV and AIDS among primary school learners in Northern KwaZulu-Natal. Research Report, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban.
- Meyer-Weitz, A., & Bhagwanjee, A. (2012). Significant Other’s Perceptions of the HIV and AIDS related challenges of primary school learners: A qualitative inquiry. Research Report University of KwaZulu-Natal. Durban.
- Ghuman, S., Meyer-Weitz, A., & Knight, S. (2012). Prevalence patterns and predictors of alcohol use and abuse among Secondary School students in a southern KwaZulu-Natal District, South Africa: Demographic factors and influence of parents and peers. South African Family Practice, 54(2), 132-138. (45%)
- Naranbhai, V., Abdool Karim, Q., Meyer-Weitz, A. (2011). Interventions to modify sexual risk behaviours for preventing HIV in homeless youth. Cochrane Library (1). http://www.thecochranelibrary.com
- Taylor M., Dlamini, S.B., Meyer-Weitz. A., Sathiparsad, R., Jinabhai, C.C., & Esterhuizen, T. (2010). Changing sexual behaviour to reduce HIV transmission – a multi-faceted approach to HIV prevention and treatment in a rural South African setting. AIDS Care, 13, 1-8.
- Taylor, M., Jinabai, C.C. Meyer-Weitz., A., Sathiparsad, R. (2009). Meeting the challenges of the Ottawa Charter: comparing South African responses to AIDS and tobacco control. Health Promotion International, doi: 10.1093/heapro/dap021
- Abdool Karim, Q., Meyer-Weitz, A., Mboyi, L., Carrara H., Mahlase, G., Frohlich, J.A., Abdool Karim, S.S. (2008). The influence of AIDS stigma and discrimination and social cohesion on HIV testing and willingness to disclose HIV in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Global Public Health, October 2008; 3(4): 1-15
- Taylor, M., Dlamini, S.B., Meyer-Weitz, A. Esterhuizen, T., & Jinabhai, C.C. (2007). Review of the Love Life programme in Melmoth, KwZzulu-Natal, South Africa. Durban, Research Report University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Meyer-Weitz, A., Reddy, P., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G., & Pietersen, J. (2006 August). Determinants of communication between partners about STD symptoms: implications for partner referral in South Africa. South African Family Practice, 48(7), 17 (www.safpj.co.za)
- Meyer-Weitz, A. (2005). Understanding fatalism in HIV/AIDS protection: the individual in dialogue with contextual factors. African Journal of AIDS Research, 4(2), 75-82.
- Meyer-Weitz, A. & Sliep, Y. (2005). The evaluation of Narrative Theatre training: Participatory evaluation experiences of psychosocial workers in Burundi Intervention: International Journal of Mental Health, Psychosocial Work and Counselling in Areas of Armed Conflict, 3(2), 97-111.
- Meyer-Weitz, A., Reddy, P., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G., & Pietersen, J. (2003). Determinants of multi-partner behaviour of male patients with sexually transmitted diseases in South Africa: implications for interventions. International Journal of Men’s Health, 2,2,149-162.
- Sliep, Y. & Meyer-Weitz, A. Strengthening social fabric through narrative theatre. Intervention: International Journal of Mental Health, Psychosocial Work and Counselling in Areas of Armed Conflict, 1(3), 2003.
- Meyer-Weitz, A., Reddy, P., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G., & Pietersen, J. (2000). Health care seeking behaviour of patients with STDs: Determinants of delay behaviour. Patient education and Counselling. 41, 3, 263- 274.
- Reddy, P., Meyer-Weitz, A., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G. (2000). Determinants of condom-use behaviour among STD clinic attenders in South Africa. International Journal of STDs and AIDS. 11 (8), 521-530.
- Meyer-Weitz, A., Reddy, P., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G., & Pietersen, J. (2000). The determinants of health care seeking behaviour of adolescents attending STD clinics in South Africa. Journal of Adolescence. 23, 741-752.
- Reddy, P., Meyer-Weitz, A., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G. (1999). STD-related knowledge, beliefs and attitudes of Xhosa speaking patients attending STD primary health care clinics in South Africa. International Journal of STDs and AIDS. Vol.10: 392-400.
- Reddy, P., Meyer-Weitz, A., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G. (September, 1999). MRC Policy Brief: Developing health education interventions targeted at STD clinic attenders. MRC News, Vol. 30 No.3, pp. 10-11.
- Meyer-Weitz, A., Reddy, P., Weijts, W.,Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G. (1998). The socio-cultural contexts of sexually transmitted diseases in South Africa: Implications for Health Education Programmes. AIDS CARE, 10, 1, S39-S55.
- Reddy, P., Meyer-Weitz, A., Van Den Borne, B., Kok, G. & Weijts, W. (1998). The learning curve: Health education in STI clinics in South Africa. Social Science and Medicine, 47, 1445-1453.
Chapters in Books
- Abdool Karim, Q., Meyer-Weitz, A., & Harrison, A. (2009). Interventions with youth in high-prevalence areas. In K. Mayer & H. F. Pizer, (Eds.), HIV preventions: A Comprehensive Approach. London: Academic Press.
- Youth Leadership Development, Refugee Health, Adolescent health risk
- I have supervised both Masters and Ph.D. students in the broad areas of Health and Well-being.