- MA (Counselling Psych)
- Women and work, spirituality and well-being, physical exercise and well-being, attitudes toward feminism, reproductive issues
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods, gender issues
Publications / Selected Publications
- Patel, C.J. & Bhana, K. (1987). Developmental analyses of Indian children’s concerns in the school setting and related variables. South African Journal of Education, 7(2).
- Louw, J., Louw-Potgieter, J., Bokhurst, F. & Patel C. (1990). Subjective vitality ratings of three Indian languages in South Africa. South African Journal of Linguistics, 8(4), 158-164.
- Naidoo, P. & Patel, C. (1993). An investigation of the relationship between stress, depression, and left-sided psychogenic chest pain. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 88, 12-15.
- Patel, C. J., & Shikongo, A. E. E. (2006). Handling spirituality/religion in professional training: Experiences of a sample of Muslim Psychology students. Journal of Religion and Health, 41 (1), 93-112.
- Patel, C. J., Govender, V., Paruk, Z., & Ramgoon, S. (2006) Working mothers: Family-work conflict, job performance and family/work variables. South African Journal of Psychology, 32 (2).
- Paruk, Z., Mohamed, S. D., Patel, C., & Ramgoon, S. (2006). Compassion or condemnation? South African Muslim students’ attitudes to people with HIV/AIDS. Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS, 3(3), 510-515.
- ramgoon, S., Bachoo, S., Patel, C., & Paruk, Z. (2006). Could a healthy ego identity serve as a protective factor against suicidal tendencies? A pilot study. Journal of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 18(2), 49-54.
- Patel, C. J., Beekhan, A., Paruk, Z., & Ramgoon, S. (2008). Work-family conflict, job satisfaction and spousal support: An exploratory study of nurses’ experience. Curationis , 31(1), 38-44.
- Patel, C. J., & Myeni, M. C. (2008) Attitudes toward abortion in a sample of South African female University students. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 38, 736-750.
- Patel, C. J., & Kooverjee, T. (2009). Abortion and contraception: Attitudes of South African university students. Health Care for Women International, 30, 550-568.
- patel, C. J., Ramgoon, S., & Paruk, Z. (2009). Exploring Religion, Race and Gender as Factors in the Life Satisfaction and Religiosity of Young South African Adults. South African Journal of Psychology, 39(3), 266-274.
- Patel, C. J., & Johns, L. (2009). Gender role attitudes and attitudes to abortion: Are there gender differences? The Social Science Journal, 46, 493-505.
- Ramgoon, S., Patel C. J. & Paruk, Z. (2009). Preliminary validation of the Multi-Attitude Suicide Tendency Scale (MAST) using a South African adolescent sample. Journal of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 21(1), 39-45
- Tshabalala, B. G., & Patel C. J. (2010). The role of praise and worship activities in spiritual well-being: perceptions of a Pentecostal Youth Ministry group. International Journal of Children’s Spirituality, 15(1), 73-83.
- Ramgoon, S., Dalasile, N. Q., Paruk, Z., & Patel, C.J. (2011). An exploratory study of trainee and registered psychologists’ perceptions about indigenous healing systems. South African Journal of Psychology, 41(1), 90-100.
- Patel, C.J., & Kasiram, M.I. (2011). The development of an instrument to measure women’s experience of an aerobics dance class. Health SA Gesondheid, 16(1), 1-7.
- Banks, J., Patel, C.J., & Moola, M.A. (2012). Perceptions of inequity in the workplace: Exploring the link with unauthorized absenteeism. SA Journal of Human Resource Management, 10(1), 1-8.
- Patel, C.J., Naidoo, S., & Paruk, Z. (2013). Psychometric properties of the Religious Orientation Test (ROT) in a sample of South African students. Journal of Psychology in Africa, 23(1), 145-148.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate (Honours, Masters) Qualitative and Quantitative research methods,
Student Supervision (Honours, Masters, PhD …)
- Honours and Masters