- Master of Social Science (Research Psychology), UKZN, 2013
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours), UKZN, 2009
- Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology and Media Studies), UKZN, 2008
- Gender and sexuality (with a focus on masculinity)
- Mental health
- Health systems strengthening
- Implementation Science
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Maternal and child health
- Research methodology with a focus on qualitative methods.
- Community Psychology
- Janse van Rensburg A, Kathree T, Breuer E, Selohilwe O, Mntambo, N, Petrus R, Bhana A, Lund C, Fairall, L., Petersen, I. (2021). Fuzzy-set qualitative comparative analysis of implementation outcomes in an integrated mental healthcare trial in South Africa. Global Health Action. 14(1) doi: 10.1080/16549716.2021.1940761
- Kemp, C. G., Mntambo, N., Weiner, B. J., Grant, M., Rao, D., Bhana, A., … & Petersen, I. (2021). Pushing the bench: A mixed methods study of barriers to and facilitators of identification and referral into depression care by professional nurses in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. SSM-Mental Health, 100009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmmh.2021.100009
- Petersen, I., Kemp, C. G., Rao, D., Wagenaar, B. H., Sherr, K., Grant, M., Bachmann, M., Barnabas, R. V., Mntambo, N., Gigaba, S., Van Rensburg, A., Luvuno, Z., Amarreh, I., Fairall, L., Hongo, N. N., & Bhana, A. (2021). Implementation and Scale-Up of Integrated Depression Care in South Africa: An Observational Implementation Research Protocol. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), appips202000014. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.202000014
- Petersen, I., Fairall, L., Zani, B., Bhana, A., Lombard, C., Folb, N., Selohilwe, O., Georgeu-Pepper, D., Petrus, R., Mntambo, N., … & Lund, C. (2021). Effectiveness of a task-sharing collaborative care model for identification and management of depressive symptoms in patients with hypertension attending public sector primary care clinics in South Africa: pragmatic parallel cluster randomised controlled trial. Journal of Affective Disorders. DOI: 10.1016/j.jad.2020.12.123
- Kemp, C.G., Mntambo, N., Bachmann, M., Bhana, A., Rao, D., Grant, M., Hughes, J.P., Simoni, J.M., Weiner, B.J., Gigaba, S.G., Luvuno Z.P.B., Petersen, I (2020). Patient-level predictors of detection of depressive symptoms, referral, and uptake of depression counseling among chronic care patients in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Global Mental Health, 7, E18. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/gmh.2020.11
- Bhana, A., Mntambo, N., Gigaba, S. G., Luvuno, Z. P. B., Grant, M., Ackerman, D., … & Petersen, I. (2019). Validation of a brief mental health screening tool for common mental disorders in primary healthcare. South African Medical Journal, 109(4), 278-283. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.2019.v109i4.13664
- Jordans, M., Chisholm, D., Semrau, M., Gurung, D., Abdulmalik, J., Ahuja, S., Mugisha, J., Mntambo, N., … & Gureje, O. (2019). Evaluation of performance and perceived utility of mental healthcare indicators in routine health information systems in five low-and middle-income countries. BJPsych Open, 5(5). DOI: 10.1192/bjo.2019.22
- Ahuja, S., Hanlon, C., Chisholm, D., Semrau, M., Gurung, D., Abdulmalik, J., Mugisha, J., Mntambo, N., … & Jordans, M.J. (2019). Experience of implementing new mental health indicators within information systems in six low-and middle-income countries. BJPsych Open, 5(5). DOI: 10.1192/bjo.2019.29
- Petersen, I., van Rensburg, A., Kigozi, F., Semrau, M., Hanlon, C., Abdulmalik, J., Kola, L., Fekadu, A., Gureje, O., Gurung, D., Jordans, M., Mntambo, N., & Thornicroft, G. (2019). Scaling up integrated primary mental health in six low-and middle-income countries: obstacles, synergies and implications for systems reform. BJPsych open, 5(5). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1192/bjo.2019.7
- Petersen, I., Bhana, A., Folb, N., Thornicroft, G., Zani, B., Selohilwe, O., Petrus, R., Mntambo, N,. … & Lund, C. (2018). Collaborative care for the detection and management of depression among adults with hypertension in South Africa: study protocol for the PRIME-SA randomised controlled trial. Trials, 19(1), 192. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-018-2518-6
- Fairall, L., Petersen, I., Zani, B., Folb, N., Georgeu-Pepper, D., Selohilwe, O., Petrus, R., Mntambo, N., Bhana, A., Lombard, C… & Bachmann, M. (2018). Collaborative care for the detection and management of depression among adults receiving antiretroviral therapy in South Africa: study protocol for the CobALT randomised controlled trial. Trials, 19(1), 193. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-018-2517-7
- Wilford, A., Phakathi, S., Haskins, L., Jama, N.A., N., & Horwood, C.M (2018). Exploring the care provided to mothers and children by community health workers in South Africa: missed opportunities to provide comprehensive care. BMC public health, 18(1), 171. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-018-5056-y
- Mugisha, J., Abdulmalik, J., Hanlon, C., Petersen, I., Lund, C., Upadhaya, N., Ahuja, S., Shidhaye, R., Mntambo, N., Alem, A., Gureje, O & Kigozi, F. (2017). Health systems context(s) for integrating mental health into primary health care in six Emerald countries: a situation analysis. International Journal of Mental Health Systems, Vol 11(7). DOI: 10.1186/s13033-016-0114-2
- Horwood, C., Butler, L., Barker, P., Phakathi, S., Haskins, L., Grant, M., Mntambo, N., & Rollins, N. (2017). A continuous quality improvement intervention to improve the effectiveness of community health workers providing care to mothers and children: a cluster randomised controlled trial in South Africa. Human resources for health, 15(1), 39. DOI: 10.1186/s12960-017-0210-7
- Grant, M., Wilford, A., Haskins, L., Phakathi, S., Mntambo, N., & Horwood, C. M. (2017). Trust of community health workers influences the acceptance of community-based maternal and child health services. African journal of primary health care & family medicine, 9(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.4102/phcfm.v9i1.1281
- Haskins, L.J., Phakathi, S.P., Grant, M., Mntambo, N., Wilford, A., & Horwood, C.M. (2016). Fragmentation of maternal, child and HIV services: A missed opportunity to provide comprehensive care. African Journal of Primary Health Care & Family Medicine, Vol 8(1). DOI: 10.4102/phcfm.v8i1.1240
- Zissette, S., Watt, M.H., Prose, N.S., Mntambo, N., Moshabela, M. (2016). “If you don’t take a stand for your life, who will help you?” Men’s engagement in HIV care in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, Vol 17(3), 265-273. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/men0000025
All projects listed can be accessed at the following website: (https://crh.ukzn.ac.za/)
- (2018-2019) Southern African Research Consortium for Mental Health Integration (SMHINT)
S-MhINT is a research- and capacity-building consortium in Southern Africa that aims to use implementation science to strengthen regional mental health integration into primary health, antenatal, and chronic care platforms in under-resourced areas of eastern South Africa, central Mozambique and southern Tanzania.
- (2018) Mental Health Integration Project (MhINT)
The MhINT programme aimed to facilitate the integration of mental health services in PHCs through a task-sharing approach that strengthens detection of common mental health disorders (i.e. depression and anxiety) and provides a referral pathway for patients within the PHC system.
- (2015-2017) ProgRamme for Improving Mental Health CarE (PRIME)
The purpose of PRIME was to generate world-class research evidence on the implementation and scaling up of treatment programmes of priority mental disorders which can be widely adopted by policy makers and practitioners in low and middle-income countries.
- (2015-2017) Emerging Mental Health Systems in Low- and Middle-Income Countries (EMERALD)
EMERALD is an international research consortium which involves identifying key mental health system barriers to, and solutions for, the scaled-up delivery and the improvement of health systems in low- and middle-income countries (LAMICs). The programme is comprised of six work packages which are implemented across six countries; South Africa, Nepal, India, Uganda, Nigeria and Ethiopia.
- (2014) KwaZulu Natal Initiative for Breastfeeding Support (KIBS)
The KIBS project aimed to investigate breastfeeding practices at 14weeks of age in all districts in KwaZulu Natal.
- (2013-2014) Integration for service and sustainability (ISIS)- Implementation of an integrated maternal child and women’s health and HIV service in one sub-district in KwaZulu Natal
This project aimed to develop and implement a framework for the provision of integrated maternal and child health and HIV services in the well-child setting in partnership with the KwaZulu Natal Department of Health.
- (2012-2014) The Effectiveness of HIV-adapted Community Case Management Materials to Increase Uptake of MCH and HIV Interventions
This study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of Community Case Management of Childhood Illness Training and Continuous Quality Improvement Supervision for CCGs to support MCNWH interventions.
- (2011) The perceived roles of community care givers and the acceptability of implementing a community-based maternal, neonatal, child and women’s health intervention in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
This aim of this study was to assess community perceptions of the role of community care givers in the provision of maternal, neonatal, child and women’s health care at the community level
- (2011) Longitudinal, ethnographic study of care and treatment of children under 5 years in the KwaZulu Natal Province, South Africa
A prospective cohort study which visited 20 households with HIV-infected children under the age of 5 years 4 times each over a period of 6 months. During this period, information regarding recent morbidity, health seeking behaviour, treatment decisions and adherence and socio-demographic information was collected.
- Qualitative research design and practice
- Thandokazi Ndlovu, 2020 Constructing and performing masculinity: Understanding men’s health
- Motiki Pheku, 2020 The Influence of gender socialization on study and career choices
- Anele Ngema, 2020 Constructions of masculinity and gender-based violence in South Africa
- Londiwe Doncabe, 2020 Masculinity and male dominated workplace culture and its role in the career progression of women: a qualitative study on women’s experiences