- B.A (Hons Psychology)
- M.A (Clinical Psychology)
- Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Psychometrics, Mood disorders in Adults and/or Children, Measuring Suicidal Risk in Adult and Adolescent Clients
- Supervision of Clinical Psychology Interns (McCord’s Hospital) (2006-2008), involving:
1) Individual and group psychotherapy (adult and paediatric cases)
2) Psychological assessments (administration, scoring and interpretation for both adult and paediatric cases)
3) Evaluation, report writing, general case management and multi-disciplinary consultations.
- Masters in Clinical and Counselling Psychology (Psychological Assessment, Psychology Practice) (2003-current)
- Honours (Psychology) – General Psychological Assessment (2011-current)
- Diploma in Psychological Assessment (Adults and Children), Psychological Counselling and Ethics, Case Presentation and Management, Report Writing (2003-2010)
- General Psychological Assessment- Honours level course, University of Durban-Westville (2003-2005, 2010-current)
- Managing Health Behaviour in Clinical Practice- Level 3 course (PSYC 332 W2), University of KwaZulu-Natal (2003-2012)
- 1st year Programme (PSYC 101/102) – Level 1, University of KwaZulu-Natal (2005-current).
Publications / Selected Publications
- Beekrum, R; Valjee, S and Collings S.J (2011). An emic perspective on the dynamics of non-fatal suicidal behaviour in a sample of South African Indian women. 41(1), 2011, pp. 63-73
- Steven J Collings , Sachet R Valjee & Susan L Penning (2013): Development and preliminary validation of a screen for interpersonal childhood trauma experiences among school-going youth in Durban, South Africa, Journal of Child & Adolescent Mental Health, 25:1, 23-34
- Collings, S.J; Penning, S and Valjee S. (2014). Lifetime poly-victimization and posttraumatic stress disorder among school-going adolescents in Durban, South Africa. International Journal of Psychiatry.17:5
- Valjee, S.R & Collings, S.J. (2014). Convergent Validity of a Brief Screen for Poverty in a Sample of South African Adolescents. Social Behavior and Personality: An international journal, Volume 42, Issue 9, 2014
- Psychological Debriefing for mental health carers at a Durban South Coast NGO for sexually abuse children
- Postgraduate level: Psychological Assessment
Student Supervision (Honours, Masters, PhD …)
- Claire Protheroe (2004) A qualitative investigation into the factors that mediate health-seeking behaviour of women who have been diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer.
- Roda Gounden (2004). High risk behaviour amongst adolescents in a South African sample.
- Janice Moodley (2005). Psychiatric Nurses Understanding of the Differences between Schizophrenia and Dissociative Personality Disorder
- Rose Anne Govindsamy (2006). A qualitative investigation into the determinants of high-risk sexual behaviour amongst adolescents in a public school setting.
- Sanam Kandhaie (2012). To explore how adolescent depression can be a mediating risk towards non-fatal suicide
- Kavita Soni (2012). A Qualitative Investigation into the Risk and Protective Factors that Mediate Indian Women’s Experiences of Post Natal Depression.
- Kameshni Chetty (2012). A Qualitative investigation into the risk and protective factors that mediate non-fatal suicidal behaviour among adolescents.
- Lydia Govender (2012). A qualitative investigation into the risk factors that mediate suicidal ideation in school going adolescents.
- Mbalenhle Portia Zwane (2014). The assessment and management of unethical behavioural conduct in the workplace
- Clarissa Pillay (2014). The effectiveness of pre-employment psychometric testing as a determinant of selection.
- Corinna vann Gopal (2014). Theoretical debates around the recognition of Complex PTSD as a psychopathological state.
- Kishalya Naidoo (2014). The value of the selection interview as a decision-making tool in relation to job recruitment (Structured versus unstructured)
- Taryn Minthradeva (2014). Identifying recruitment strategies employed by Human Resources Departments within the South African Corporate context.
- Verosh Moodley (2014). Differentiating between personality and cognitive measures in relation to job suitability.
- 2018 – Vilakazi, Z (2018). A study exploring the cross-cultural explanatory models of mental illness among a University sample of Post-graduate students (current)
- 2017 – Sunder, K – A Qualitative Study Exploring Spousal
Perceptions of familial coherence and connectivity following police officer’s experience of a work-related traumatic event. (current)
- 2017 – Barker, L – A study exploring psychologists’ experiences of establishing a therapeutic alliance with cross-cultural clients. (current)
- 2017 – Greener, M – A qualitative understanding of the challenges faced by trainee psychologists when conducting a formal Mental Status Examination during the Clinical Interview. (current)
- 2016 – Colton, E. – A qualitative study exploring the dynamics of patient adherence to psychotropic medication use amongst adult patients with Bipolar Disorder. (degree awarded)
- 2016 – Naidoo, S – Communication as a core competency: Factors influencing health sciences student’s attitudes toward developing communication as a core graduate competency (degree awarded)
- 2015 – Glinski, C.D – A Qualitative Study Exploring the Psychosocial Experiences and Difficulties of Parents Who Have a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): within a South African context. (current)
- 2014 – Soni, K – The effects of electronic communication devices on interpersonal romantic relationships (current)
- 2014 – Ally, Z – Emotional stresses and coping among first year trainee clinical and counseling psychologists: A qualitative study of students’ experiences and perceptions (degree awarded
- 2014 – Makhaye, P. Identifying the benefits and barriers of providing feedback on psychological assessment results/concepts using the clients/caregivers primary language of communication: The Clinicians Perspective. (dissertation passed – awaiting corrections)
- 2012 – Cornell, E. What Motivates to Medicate? A qualitative study exploring the factors that influence a parent’s decision to select psycho-stimulants as first-line treatment for their ADHD child. (degree awarded)
- 2012 – Leith, C. Obstacles faced by assessors when giving feedback to caregivers of children referred for scholastic problems at the Center for Applied Psychology. (degree awarded)
- 2009 – Neaves, SM. An exploratory study investigating the experiences of parents coping with children who are treated for Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). (degree awarded).
- 2008 – Correia-Marques, C. A qualitative investigation of perceived stress in first year university students regarding their career choices: the role of family and contextual influences. (degree awarded)
- 2008- Beekrum.R. A Qualitative Investigation into Contextual Risk and Protective Factors that Mediate Non-Fatal Adolescent Suicidal Behaviour. Masters in Counselling Psychology. School of Psychology, University of KwaZulu-Natal (degree awarded)
- 2007- Bernard W. Emotion in Schizophrenia: Qualitative and Quantitative responses to affect-eliciting images. Masters in Clinical Psychology. School of Psychology, University of KwaZulu-Natal (degree awarded)
- 2007- Hepker. N. A Qualitative investigation into the determinants of perceived stress by Intern Clinical/Counselling Psychologists in consultation with a Non-Fatal Suicide client. Masters in Clinical Psychology. School of Psychology, University of KwaZulu-Natal (degree awarded)
- 2004- Bega. R. A qualitative investigation into the subjective experiences of stress and coping by first year Masters Clinical/Counselling students in psychology at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. Masters in Clinical Psychology. School of Psychology, University of KwaZulu-Natal. (degree awarded)
- 2017 -Michelle Rene Smith – The incidence and correlates of intimate partner violence in a sample of South African University students
- 2017 – Iram Osman – Mental health practitioners’ experiences of the Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction programme: An explorative qualitative inquiry
- 2017 – Sinqobile Elevia Nyalungu – States of Senselessness: An exploratory study of social representations of ‘ukuhlanya’ (mental illness)
- 2017 – Zhel-Ann Delport – Parents’ perceptions of their adolescent children’s mental health and well-being
- 2015 – Debbie Jameson – The relationship between mode and locus of exposure and the impact of interpersonal violence in a sample of South African Adolescents
- 2014 – Lynn M. Norton – Nowhere to Hide: An Exploration of Adolescent School Children’s Fears and Anxieties in their Communities
- 2014 – Wendy Kempster – Scared at Home: A Child-Centred Perspective on Adolescent Child Fears and Anxiety in the Family Context
- 2014 – Shelley Rogers – Witnesses to the bullying scene: A narrative analysis of pre-adolescent bystanders
- 2013 – Debbie Jameson – Scared at School? A Child-Centred Perspective on Fears and Anxieties Experienced by Adolescents in South African Schools.
- 2013 – Kelly Joan Berry – Therapist countertransference experiences of clients’ violent crime narratives in the South African context.
- 2012 – Kate Hosken – The role of pre-treatment expectations in the
recovery of unipolar mood disorders
- 2011 – Hlengiwe Zwane – An ecological perspective of the risk influences for HIV infection among adolescent psychiatric patients
- 2011 – Bandanise Thamsanqa Johannes Mbonambi – Trainee’s experiences of anxiety about counseling: A phenomenological approach
- 2010 – Tasneem Kathree – Experiences of South African Indian Women Screened for Postpartum Depression
2010 – Wendy Leigh Penfold – Social Reactions to Child Sexual Abuse: A Child-centred Perspective on Helpful and Harmful Experiences in the Aftermath of Disclosure
- 2010 – Spokazi Thandeka (Mimi) Zulu – An exploration of the interrelationship between intimacy resolution, coping styles, and suicidal attitudes among a sample of university students
- 2010 – Sharl Fynn – Experiences of Social Support among Volunteer Caregivers of People with AIDS Living in the KwaNgcolosi Community, KwaZulu-Natal
- 2009 – Welmi Booyens – Evaluation of the substance abuse programme of the South Coast Recovery Centre, focusing on patients’ satisfactory
2009 – Janice K. Moodley – An Investigation of the association between Bonding Family Social Capital and Bonding Peer Social Capital and Adolescent Suicide Risk
- 2008 – Rosamund Lowry – Coping styles and defense mechanisms in adults vicariously exposed to violent crime: An explorative study.
- 2006 – Jasmin Kooverjee – An Investigation Into The Determinants Of Treatment Adherence To Psychostimulant Therapy Amongst Grade 3-6 School Children With Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) In A Selected Paediatric Practice In The Durban Metropolitan