- Doctor of Philosophy (Sociology) (UKZN) Title of PHD Thesis: NEGOTIATING SEXUALITY: Informal sexual cultures amongst young people at a township high school in Kwazulu-Natal.
- Masters in Social Work (Welfare Policy) (UKZN) Title of MA Thesis: The Responsiveness of Sexual Offenders to a Therapeutic Group Work Programme at a Prison in Durban, South Africa.
- Bachelor of Technology in Correctional Services Management (UNISA)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Social Work (UNIZUL)
- Gender, Youth Sexuality, and Gender Violence
- HIV and AIDS
- Community Development and community-based work
- Psychosocial support services
- Forensic social work
- Correctional Services
- Gender, AIDS and Violence
- Human behavior and the Social Environment
- Working with Groups
- Psychosocial Support
- 2014 Thuthuka Grant for PHD: National Research Foundation
- 2012 Competitive Research Grant Award
- 2011 SANTRUST PHD Proposal Writing
- 2010 Educator of the Year Award (Up and Coming Category): Association of South African Schools of Social Work Education Institutions (ASASWEI). UKZN SANTRUST Pre-Doctoral Programme Award
Published Journal Articles (Peer Reviewed):
- Mhangwa, T; Kasiram, M; and Zibane, S (2018). Effectiveness of aftercare services for female drug users. Southern African Journal of Social Work and Social Development, Ref 335/16.
- Mkhize, N; Mathe (Zibane), S and Buthelezi, N (2014). Title: Ethical decision-making in cultural context: Implications for professional practice. Mediterranean Journal for Social Sciences, 5(23), 2413-2419.
- Mathe S (2013). ‘Love is good even when it is bad’: Competing sexuality discourses in a Township High School in South Africa. Agenda: Sex, Gender and Chilhood, 97, 77-86
- Raniga T and Mathe S (2011). Private Lives, Public Issues: Child Bearing Experiences of Adolescent Mothers in the Era of HIV and AIDS, Bhambayi, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. Social Work/Maatsklaplike Werk, 47(3), 338-348
- Thabethe N and Mathe S (2010). Anti-Poverty Strategy in Rural KwaZulu-Natal: Contradictions and opportunities for Women in Poultry Farming. Agenda: Gender & Rurality, 84, 81-100.
- Mathe S (2007). The Responsiveness of Sexual Offenders to a Therapeutic Group Work Programme at Westville Medium B Prison. Social Work/Maatskaplike Werk, 43(4), 392-406.
- Mathe S (2007). Juvenile Sexual Offenders: We are the sons of our fathers. Agenda: Empowering Women for Gender Equity, 21(74), 133-140.
Published (Non-peer Reviewed):
- Mathe, S (2015). Report on the Socio-Economic Circumstances of the Six Communities under Ezinqoleni and Hibiscus local Municipalities, Portshepstone, Kwazulu-Natal. A report on behalf of the Natal Portland Cement’s CSI Department.
- Mathe S and Meintjes B (2013). Module 4: Care and support of children at risk. Learner Workbook. 4rth Edition. South Africa: REPSSI
- 2017 to date Board Member: Centre for Afrocology, UKZN
- 2016 to date University Language Board: Representative for the College of Humanity
- 2012 to 2017 Schooling Sexuality Project in a township, Durban
- 2014 Material Development and Review for Module 5: Management and Coordination of Child Protection in Emergences
- 2012 to 2014 Senate Academic Representative: School of Applied Human Sciences
- 2010 to date Module Coordination, Capacity Building and Quality Management: Community Based Work with Children and Youth (REPSSI/UKZN Project)
Board Member: Open Door Crisis Centre
- 2010 Work Team: NQF level 5 Social Auxiliary Curriculum
Development for Health and Welfare SETA, PRETORIA
Global Fund Trainer: HIV/AIDS in the Workplace
- 2006 SA Delegation: Study Visit on Gender Equity and Rural
Development to Canadian Universities
- 2005-2008 Treasurer: KZN Employee Assistance Professionals’ Association
- 2004-2006 Chairperson: Gender Equity Task Team, Mangosuthu University of Technology
- South African Council for Social Services Professions (SACSSP)
- Curriculum Design, Development and Implementation
- Teaching, presentation and workshop facilitation
- Research and research supervision
- Policy development, analysis, implementation
- Project design, implementation and management
- Community development facilitation
- Private, public and international partnerships
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
- Computer literacy
MA Students (Graduated)
- 2017 Khumalo, N.M, 9700575 Master of Social Science (Social Work). Understanding the Bio-psycho and Social Effects of Whoonga Use by Youth in KwaMashu Township, North of Durban.
- 2016 Cebekhulu, L.M, 208514563 Master of Social Science (Social Work). Understanding the Experiences of Young Widows in Rural KwaZulu-Natal.
- 2016 Ndlovu, N., 214583695 Master of Social Science (Social Work). Factors Influencing the Choice of a Backstreet Abortion by Young Women from a Township in Durban.
- 2016 Mhangwa, T., 215076191 Master of Social Science (Social Work). Perceptions Concerning the Effectiveness of Aftercare Programmes for Female Recovering Drug Users.
- 2013 Chetty, L.A., 9304881 Master of Social Science (Social Work). Termination of Pregnancy: A Decision Delimma amongst Young Women.